Cabbage Thoran/ Cabbage stir fried in coconut masala,completely a Kerala preparation.. and this was my Mom’s preparation..
She always cook vegetables with coconut masala and she wont use water to vegetables, they cook in the flame and oil used in the Thoran.. this thoran goes well with any types of curries sambar, rasam, puli kulmabu all serves a best combo with this thoran.. not only cabbage in the same preparation carrot, beans, keerai/Spinach, beetroot, raddish can be prepared… always these vegetables stay in comfort food at any time, In south functions, if they serve vegetarian meals then this kind of poriyal will not miss in their list.. And its a every day cook for South Indians..early i too add 1/4 of water to the veg to cook them, atlast i loose the taste, after so many clarification with mom and MIL i got an idea of, how to cook a perfect thoran or poriyal.. Lets see the recipe first, Do try and let me know how it turns for you…
Preparation time- 10 mins
Cooking Time- 15 mins
Onion- 1 finely chopped
Oil- 3 tsp
Mustard- 1/2 tsp
Urad dhal- 1 tsp
Channa dhal- 1 tsp
Curry leaves- 1 spring
Turmeric powder- a pinch
Salt- as per taste
Coconut- 1/2 cup grated
Jeera- 1 tsp
Pearl Onion- 4-5 nos
Garlic- 1 pod
Green chillie- 2 nos
Curry leaves- 1 spring
* Chop Cabbage into thin pieces.. i used my colander to clean it.. have to clean the chopped cabbage in running water.. Chop the onions and set aside..
* Take the Coconut, Pearl onion, Jeera, Green chillie, curry leaves and garlic in a mixer, coarsely grind it.. and set aside..
* Heat Oil in a pan, temper it with Mustard, urad dhal, channa dhal, and saute onions for few mins..
* Add the drained cabbage and curry leaves together to the pan, close with a tight lid and let them sit in medium flame for 3 mins… uncover the pan and give a stir, here in the second picture you can see the difference, and the cabbage was halfly cooked..
* Now add in the Salt,Turmeric powder, Coconut masala… Give them a good mix.. to spread everything evenly..
* Again cover this with a tight lid, cook it for few mins..sprinkle 3 tsp of water… Cover them and cook for 5 mins, cook till the raw masala smells leaves and the cabbage was done…
* Choose fresh cabbage for curries..
* Addition of coconut enhance more flavor and more taste to the kootu.
* I usually dont use water to this thoran.. the vegetables should cook in oil itself..
* Adding turmeric powder is optional.
* For exact Kerala taste use Coconut oil to temper, i used Gingely oil…
“Cabbage Thoran/Stir fried Cabbage”