Anchovy Aviyal, Netholi meen a small variety fish, such a great taste, a low fat fish, This is my mom’s recipe, she does this often very clear and neat explanation she gave through the phone..
Cleaning the fish though very difficult task, but nowadays in the shop itself they clean this fish..
though u need to wash the fish in running water to remove the fishy smell.. Small silvery fish, cooked along with a coarsely grounded coconut paste, all blend together to serve a wonderful bowl of fish Aviyal.. i didn’t add any oil to this recipe, usually my mom, does, she drop some coconut oil in the last stage, and add handful of curry leaves.. normal tempering also can be done, but i don’t use any kind of oil in this recipe, to adopt as a healthy version.. this is my “Day 36 0f B365″
Anchovy Avial/நெத்தலி அவியல் (Zero Oil)
Recipe Cuisine: Indian | Recipe Category: Side Dish
Prep Time: 10 mins | Cook time: 20-30 mins | Serves: 2
|| to taste
Ingredients To Grind
These are the ingredients to grind.. There you need to learn a small trick to grind masala for avial in mixer..
Take all the ingredients except coconut, chilly powder and turmeric Powder , grind them without adding any water.. Below pic shows it, finally add the coconut, turmeric powder and chilly powder and give only one pulse..
Clean and wash the Anchovy Fish, if you wish you can de-bone the fish..
Add the Grounded masala, see how the masala looks dry, add in the chopped drumsticks.
Followed by Tamarind water, salt..
Add some more water( i added 1/2 cup- 3/4 cup water) bring this boil in medium flame.. Can add green chilly too, i added once the curry starts to boil.
Dont stir in between, make it dry.. if you wish put a spoon then drop it around the sides, then only you will get whole fish, other wise anchovies will break and complete dish will spoil..
- Along with drumstick can add some brinjal and raw mango pieces too..
- Again I’m pointing here don’t stir the curry..
- Also don’t add water to grind the masala
- if you want to temper, once you remove the avial form the flame heat a pan with 2 tsp oil temper with mustard, curry leaves and add it on.
- Adding green chillies will be flavourful.. I add 2 green chillies, but didnt mention in the list, as it’s an optional one..
- Can use any kind of fish in place of anchovy..