Hyderabadi Prawn Biryani with Eastern Masasla
Hyderbadi Prawn Biryani with Eastern masala, Hurray how i miss this folder to post still the laziness need some scratch to set my work mode. Such an interesting recipe this was, an exotic flavours of garam masala and fried onions have the excellent play in this recipe.
It’s been months that i receive my Eastern pack for review, I prepared most of the dishes finished those shoot and kept them calm in a folder, Still the lazy me need more energy to overcome my regular speed. Yes are you a lazy person like and searching for a good homemade Hyderabadi Biryani, no more confusion just order you pack of “Eastern Hyderabadi Biryani Masala”, follow the recipe instruction.
This masala made hectic sunday morning with a delicious lunch. I usually prefer some simple and easy recipes for Sunday lunch menu since we had to attend the service in church and we have more activities with our kids, when i plan this lunch. I kept my alarm to morning 5’0 clock to step into my preparation, but whenever i used to work with Hyderabadi biryani, that will be big mess to set everything back. However, I didn’t felt that much mess this time, since the recipe was so easy and there i no need to worry about the biryani masala, “The ratio of the masala’s are too perfect “.
Here I used Prawns instead of chicken, no wonder i adapted the recipe to out taste by adding here and there steps to elaborate my style. One thing i felt with the masala was i expect bit more hotness with the masala since it was a Hyderabadi masala and we started taking some spicy foods, my expected spice level was missing other than it was a perfect hit, to mange the spines i add green chillies. So now you are guaranteed to try Hyderabadi Biryani in home with Restaurant style perfection.
The Ceramic bowl which i used in the display was my cousins gift, she gifted this for our wedding anniversary.. Again being a lazy person i found a good time to use them in my work..
Step by Step Picture Instruction
Below pack is the one i received for review. You can buy them in amazon with one click over the link “Eastern Hydrabad Biryani Masala”
Heat a pan with oil, Add in the sliced onion
Fry till they turns golden brown in colour, Reserve the fried onion for later use.
Take Cleaned and deveined prawn in a mixing bowl, add few fried onions, 1/2 cup of hung curd, 5-6 tsp of Eastern Hyderabadi Biryani masala.
Add Slitted Green chillies, chopped tomato, salt. Mix them well and marinate this for 30 mins.
Have seen so many varieties in India Gate Basmathi rice, of this recipe, i used basmati Rice Tibar.
Fennel seeds, Cloves, Cardamom, Shahi Jeera, these are the tempering ingredients which i used
Heat 2 teaspoon of ghee, and 2 tsp of oil in a heavy bottomed pan, Add in the tempering items and fry till the aroma raise.
Add in the Sliced onion and fry for till they turns translucent.
Add in the chopped tomatoes, cook till they turn mushy.
Take two green chillies, Ginger and garlic in a mixer, grind them to a smooth paste.
Add in the grounded paste to the pan.
Cook altogether till they ooze out the oil.
Add in the marinated Prawns..
Add a cup of water, chopped coriander leaves, mint leaves to the pan, and cook till they done.
Reserve half of the gravy for layering.
This step is to cook the rice, take a pan with water add fennel seeds, Jeera/cumin seeds, star anise, cinnamon, Cardamom, Cloves and a teaspoon of oil, allow the water to boil.
Add washed Cleaned and soaked Basmathi rice to the boiled water.
Half cook the grains, don’t allow the grains to cook more.
Spread the strained rice over the masala. Evenly spread the rice over gravy part.
Spread a bed of chopped coriander leaves and mint leaves
Again layer with Prawn masala, and Rice
Sprinkle the saffron water, and some reserved fried onions
Top with some more mint leaves and mint leaves, Keep them closed and place a pot of hot water over the covered lid.
After 30 mins, tada..
Carefully mix the layer..
Shuffle the rice and masala carefully, without breaking the rice fluff up and serve..
- Basmathi Rice - 500 gms
- Prawn- 1/2 kg
- Water- 5 cups
- Oil + Ghee- 2 tsp + 3 tsp
- Salt As per Taste
- Onion- 250 gms
- Tomato- 2 nos
- Ginger- 2 " piece
- Garlic - 1 head
- Green chilli- 4-5 nos
- Coriander Leaves- 1/2 bunch
- Mint Leaves- 1/2 bunch
- Jeera/Cumin seeds- 1 tsp
- Shahi Jeera - 1 1/2 tsp
- Cinnamon- 2" piece
- Cardamom- 4-5 pieces
- Cloves- 4-5 pieces
- Star Anise- 1 piece
- Bay leaf- 1 piece
- Milk- 2 tsp
- Saffron/Yellow food colour(Kesari Powder)- a pinch
- FOR MARINATION
- Tomato- 1 nos
- Green chilli- 2-3 nos
- Curd- 1/4 cup
- Fried onion- 2 tsp
- Salt as per taste
- Eastern Hyderabadi Biryani Masala- 4-5 tsp
- Wash and soak the rice for 10 mins before cooking.
- Clean the prawn and devein them.
- Chop Onion, Tomato, Herbs(mint+corinader) and set aside. Divide the sliced into two batches one side with a small batch and the other side with a big batch.
- Grind the Garlic, Ginger and green chillies and keep them aside.
- Soak the saffron in hot milk or mix the kesari powder in the mix.
- Heat a pan with a teaspoon of oil and ghee, add sliced onion(big batch)to the hot oil fry them in medium fame till they turn brown in colour. reserve the onion these fried onion are needed till the end of the recipe.
- Take the cleaned prawn in a mixing bowl, add some fried onions, Tomato, Slitted Green chillies, Curd, Salt and Eastern hyderabadi biryani masala(which are listed under for marination). Marinate this for 30 mins.
- Heat a Heavy bottomed pan with oil and ghee, add one teaspoon shahi jeera, half teaspoon fennel seeds, two piece cloves and two piece cardamom for tempering, add the reserved(small batch) onion to the pan, fry them till they turn translucent.
- Add chopped tomatoes to the pan, cook till the tomatoes turns mushy, add the grounded ginger garlic paste to the pan fry them for few mins, once the raw smell goes off, add the marinated prawn by adding a cup of water, a handful of chopped mint leaves and coriander leaves.
- Cook till the prawns are done, Remove them from the flame.
- Take a wide pan with 5 cups of water, add one teaspoon of shahi jeera, star anise, one teaspoon of jeera, two piece cloves, two piece cardamoms, bay leaf, cinnamon, with salt and a teaspoon of oil(here the salt is added only for the rice)
- Allow the water to roll and boil, low the flame and add in the soaked rice, half cook the rice. Drain the excess water and keep the half cooked rice aside.
- In a heavy bottomed pan, layer some gravy part, spread the half cooked rice top with some reserved fried onion, chopped mint and coriander leaves, like wise repeat the layers, and finally sprinkle the saffron mix/Kesari powder mix. Cover the pan with a lid and keep a Vessel of hot water over the lid for dum.
- After 30 mins of dum remove the lid and fluff the rice without breaking the rice. Serve them with Raita and with your favourite side dish.
- The same Preparation can be done with Chicken too.
- This recipe needs more onion when compared to other precess, definitely the taste is too with onions, so don’t reduce onion quantity.
- Adjust the spiciness in green chilli and in the biryani masala
- Serve hot with some kebab, Egg, and raita.
“Hyderabadi Prawn Biryani with Eastern Masala”