Gongura/Sorrel Leaves/Pulicaha Keerai thokku, After residing in Bangalore I often see this sorrel leaves in markets, when i starts blogging i really want to give a try with this Leaves.
This time i decided to make this thokku, when i saw this bunch of leaves in the market itself. In our place we are not practised with these kind of spinach, though i tired my best and this thokku recipe is absolute yum with curd rice and with Hot steamed rice.
Step by Step Picture Instruction
Wash Clean and remove the leaves form the stem, set aside to drain the excess water.
Heat a pan with gingelly oil, Add in the Gongura/Sorrel Leaves, Cover and cook for 2-3 mins.
Add in the dried red chillies and saute again for 2-3 mins
Bring the mixture to room temperature, transfer them to the mixer with some salt, coriander seeds and methi/fenugreek seeds. Ground this mixture and set aside.
Heat a pan with gingelly oil, add in the dried red chilli
Add the grounded mixture and salt to the pan. Put the flame in medium.
Cook till they ooze out the oil.
Bring this mixture to room temperature and store in air tight container.
- Gongura leaves/Sorrel Leaves- 1 bunch
- Dried Red chilli- 9-10 nos
- Coriander Seeds- 1 tsp
- Methi Seeds/Fenugreek Seeds- 1/2 tsp
- Gingelly oil- 5-6 tsp
- Salt - as needed
- Wash Clean and Remove the ginger leaves separately from the stems.
- Heat a tsp of oil in a Pan, add the Gongura/Sorrel Leaves, cover and cook for a minute let the Gongura/Sorrel shrink. Add 7-8 Dried chillies and fry along with the Sorrel Leaves.
- Bring the content to room temperature, Ground in a mixer with Fenugreek/methi seeds and Coriander Seeds.
- Again heat a pan with gingelly oil temper with Dried red chilli, Add the grounded paste and salt, cook in medium flame till they ooze out the oil. Store them in a air tight container once they turns to room temperature.
- Adjust the spiciness by adding more or less red chillies
- This Recipe goes well with hot steamed rice and with curd rice.
- Can be stored in air tight containers for one week, to increase the shelf life, this thokku can be refrigerated.