Ambur Prawn Biryani.. There is lot of biryani varieties in town, the special and most delicious one is Ambur Biryani.. Ambur is a place which is on Chennai – Bangalore highway..
Most famous for its delicious biryani, nowadays we see each and every street had a board with Ambur special dum biryani.. I don’t know the exact variation between normal and Ambur biryani, after a long googling found some of the recipes done with pearl onion thats the special behind the ambur biryani..
Biryani are the best one pot meal for weekend special.. i never tried dum biryani yet… soon want to try that too.. and this prawn biryani version is completely yummy and delicious.. we had it with Fish fry, Boiled Rice and Onion Raita.. here i did some variation as per our taste, and I’m not sure about the name, but i like to name it as ambur biryani… since it has a generous amount of crushed pearl onion to it..and here we go with the todays recipe…
Recipe Source- Own
Preparation time- 1 hour
Cooking Time- 45 mins
Jeera Samba Rice- 250 gms
Prawn- 200 gms
Turmeric powder- 1/2 tsp
Green Chillie- 2nos
Curd- 1 cup
Mint and Coriander Leaves- a hand full
Salt- to taste
Ghee- 2 tsp
Oil- 3 tsp
Small Onion- 50gms
Garlic- 5-6 pods
Ginger- 1 inch
Chillie powder- 2 tsp
Coriander powder- 1 1/2 tsp
Graham masala- 1 tsp
Chicken masala- 1 tsp
Bay leaf- 1 nos
Fennel seeds- 1/2 tsp
Cardamon- 2 nos
Cinnamon- 2 nos
Cloves- 2 nos
* Finely chop the Tomatoes, Mint, Coriander, Slice the Onion thinly, slit the green chillies and set aside..
* Clean the Prawn and wash well, marinate this with turmeric powder and salt for 1/2 an hour..
* Peel out the onion, Garlic, Ginger..
* Grind them in a mixer, to make a coarse paste..
* Wash the rice well and soak it for 10mins..
* In the mean time , Heat the kadai with ghee and oil, temper it with fennel seeds, bay leaf, Cinnamon, Cardamon, and cloves..
* Add the Sliced onions and sauté them till they turn pink in color..
* Add the Coarsely grinded Paste and cook till they removes the raw smell, it may take 10 to 15 mins in medium flame..
* Now add in the Tomato and green Chillie..cook till they tomatoes get mashed well..
* Add the Marinated prawn, red chillie powder, coriander powder, Graham masala, chicken masala..and add some coriander and mint leaves..
* Add a cup of water and half cup of curd to the kadai…
* Cook till the prawn done and the water dries up..
* Drain the Water from the Rice, Take this Soaked Rice in electric cooker, add the water to it.. i used 2.5 cups of water for 1 cup rice..
* Once the rice halfly cooked add the prawn masala, and curd to it..
* Now add the left mint leaves, Coriander leaves to it.. Cook till they done, Poke with forks to separate the grains..
* Soak the rice only for 10 mins..
* If you use Basmathi or any other rice, use it as per the instruction..
* Keep it for 2 whistles, if you are doing it with Pressure Cooker…