Mango Jam/Homemade Mango Jam, To make a homemade jam is my long time wish. That comes true in this mango season. Very much happy to share this Homemade Mango Jam recipe, because i Learn the perfect texture to make Jam.
My mom Prepares so many types of homemade Jam with Organic fruits, Which are grown from our farm. But sometime the texture was not appealing somehow it shows the homemade consistency, though she cook for a long time, the Perfect Jelly kind of texture will miss.
She don’t use any preservatives other than Citric acid, that also if she had fresh lemon juice to add she never add Citric acid in her recipe. So In my Project I want to learn the perfect texture too, So i waited patiently to learn about the Ingredients and their needs.
When I Browsed, Pectin is used as a setting agent in homemade Jam. Pectin is a naturally occurring substance(a polyscaccaride) found in berries, apples and other fruits. When heated together with sugar, it causes a thickening that is the characteristic of jams and jellies. I used powered pectin which i found in Amazon
Kids love to roll jam with Dosa,Roti, some kids simply like to have a spoonful of Jam. Even my nephew did the same, he asked to give Jam like Halwa. If its a homemade one then there is no guilt to tempt them with Jam to feed some more healthy food.
However, Be sure What you are giving to your kid is a complete sugary food. I planned to make few more jam varieties with seasonal fruits. I assure that once if you try to make homemade Jam you will go addict to make more. Scroll down for the complete Recipe. Hope this post will be helpful.
Step by Step Picture Instruction
Wash and towel dry the mangoes, peel them and chop in to pieces, take the chopped Mango pieces in a blender
Blend to a smooth Puree.
Measure and transfer the Mango puree to the Pan, Add in the Sugar too.
Mix the sugar and mango puree well, heat them in medium flame.
After !0 mins or once you see the glaze add in the curshed cardamom/vanilla essence
Add in the Citric acid/Lemon Juice to the Mix.
Mix them well and allow to cook in medium high flame, now you can see the mango mix will ooze out the bubbles, Once the bubbles ooze out, put the flame to low. Stir often and cook the mix.
Now you can see the mango mix is more glazed and got a transparent look, Add in the Pectin Powder and cook more, if you don’t have pectin, then cook the jam till the consistency reach to the level.
Take a bowl of water and drop a pinch of jam in the water, jam should settle down as like in the below picture.
Store them in Glass bottle.
Home made mango spread in bread, for our tea time.
- Mango 500 gms
- Sugar 500 gms
- Cardamom 4-5 nos
- Citric acid a pinch
- Pectin (Optional) 1/2 tsp
- Wash and towel dry the Mangoes, peel the skin of mangoes, blend them in a blender to a smooth puree.
- Measure the puree to a heavy bottomed pan, add in the appropriate amount of sugar.
- Mix Mango puree and sugar, Heat them in medium flame for few mins, after 10 mins the sugar will melts and now add in the Crushed cardamom and citric acid to the Mango mix.
- Stir continuously after 15-20 mins the mix will show a glazed texture,add in the pectin Powder and stir continuously once they are thick enough switch of the flame.
- Take a bowl of water drop a pinch of jam to the water, if it settles down then switch off the flame and make them cool, store in a Sterilised Bottle.
- Use equal ratio of mango puree and sugar.
- Pectin is a setting agent, which is used to get the store bought jam’s texture. My mom prepare homemade jam’s without Pectin, she used to cook for a long time till they settle down like a mass.
- Citric Acid is used for long time shelf life, instead you can add few drops of organic Lemon juice.
- If the fruit is too sore then add more sugar to your level.
- If you are looking for more healthy versions, choose good sweet fruit and reduce the amount of sugar for the recipe.
- Instead of Cardamom, you add few drops of vanilla essence too.
- I didn’t add preservative to the jam so the shelf-life will upto to two weeks in room temperature and if its refrigerated it can be sit for few more weeks..