Goan Dodol/Black Halwa/Arisi Halwa/Karupatti Halwa, A rich Goan Dessert which usually calls for the tradition of the Coastal culture, they normally make this delicious dessert during Christmas. The whole process was quite long and lengthy, though I had so much fun and enthu while doing this wonderful dessert.
This is a filling and healthy dessert for kids, Jeshu boy wonders and asked me “Amma how you got the cubes, isn’t they look cute”. Kids had a great time with this delectable dessert. I plan to make this recipe for sssshh cooking challenge for the month of February 2018 we choose Goan Cuisines. This time I got my secret ingredients form Mayuri writer of mayurisjikoni. She gave Coconut and Jaggery as my secret ingredients. I was like dreaming because both are my most favourite ingredients.
When I enquired with my Goan Friends they gave me a list of desserts to be done with coconut and jaggery, This halwa is the first choice for me. Since we are from coastal region and stay closed to Kerala we have tasted this rich dessert in our childhood, my grandma makes this wonderful halwa, here I tired for 150 gms of rice flour. When grandma makes she do for 750 gms- 1000 gms of flour, such a tedious task to finish the whole process. Hope I shared all the details here in detail, if you have more quires please write to me..
Its a Little difficult task to complete the recipe, but a good home maker can easily do this wonderful dessert with minimum amount of ingredient. Here I give you a advice, if you are going to make this for the first time please take very minimum quantity ingredient and use a wide heavy bottomed vessel to stir well.
Goan Dodol/Black Halwa/Arisi Halwa/Karupatti Halwa
Prep Time: 2 hours | Cook time: 60 mins | Serves: 8
|Red Rice||150 gms|
|Palm Jaggery||200 gms|
|Coconut||1 Large/2 medium|
Above red rice is the one which I used in this recipe.
- You can use unfrosted rice flour, instead of processing the rice.
- Normally this recipe will be made of Red rice or Kavuni Airsi, some do with brow rice too.
- Using palm jaggery will gives a best result, we usually take palm jaggery from home town so I used it as a ration here, and so I substituted half the amount with normal Jaggery, if palm jaggery is available plenty in your area then you can use the whole recipe with Palm jaggery.
- I extracted almost 250-300 ml of thick and thin coconut milk, and i combined them to get the measurement, for easy calculation you can use 6 cups of coconut milk for 1 cup of rice flour.
- Adding fried cashews or nuts is optional.
- While slicing each slices dip your knife in the hot water and wipe it to make a smooth slices.
“Goan Dodol/Black Halwa/Arisi Halwa/Karupatti Halwa”