Uniappam is a regional recipe kerala, this is an instant snack with so many methods and variations. They shiny beauties are very yummy in taste. By its tradition uniappam carries various methods for every family.
Main ingredients are Raw rice, coconut and jaggery, these are the major taste making ingredients for the recipe. This time for the moth of September Ssshh cooking group was choose Kerala cuisines, and I got Paired with Sujata Roy, Writer of Batterupwithsujata. Sujataji’s page has so many recipe which covered various cuisines. She gave me Banana and Ginger powder as my secret ingredient. Well both are wonderful ingredients for Kerala cusisnes, though I have a Variation of uniappam in my page, I just want to try in a different method. In this recipe I have added some more ingredients for the extra touch.
Measure and take Rice and urad dhal in a mixing bowl
Clean the Rice and urad dhal in running water, Soak them for 2 hours
Take 1/2 cup coconut bites, Cardamom, Banana in a mixer and ground to a paste.
Add Jaggery, some portion of soaked rice and urad dhal to the mixer.
Ground to a fine paste, and set hem aside for 2-3 hours for marination.
Add enough milk and dilute the batter.
Add Ginger Powder, mix the batter and set aside.
Heat a pan with Ghee/Coconut oil fry the coconut bites
Fry them till they turns golden brown
Add the Fried coconuts and till seeds/Ellu/Seasame seeds to the batter and mix well, add the baking soda and mix well.
Heat the ape pan, Grease them, now add slowly add the batter, drizzle with ghee/oil
Cover the pan with a lid, flip and cook the uniappam till they turns golden brown.
Prep Time: 6 hours | Cook time: 10 mins | Serves: 4
|Raw Rice/Pacharisi||2 cups|
|Urad Dhal||3-4 tsps|
|Banana||3 nos small|
|Dry Ginger Powder/Sukku Podi||1 tsp|
|Black Sesame Seeds/Ellu/Till seeds||1 tsp|
|Coconut Bites||1 cup|
|Coconut Oil/Ghee||1/2 cup|
|Baking Soda||1/2 tsp|
- Soak the Rice and urad dhal for 2 hours.
- Grind Banana, Coconut, Cardamom, Jaggery, Soaked rice to a fine paste.
- Add salt, Dry ginger powder, and set aside for 2 hours to ferment the batter.
- Add enough milk and mix the batter to Idli batter consistency.
- Heat a pan with ghee/oil fry the coconut bites, and add them to the batter.
- Add Black sesame/Ellu/Till seeds to the batter.
- Before start making the unipapam add baking soda and set aside for 2 mins.
- Heat the panniyara pan, grease the pan with oil/ghee. Slowly pour the batter to the pan, drizzle with ghee/oil, flip and cook the uniappam till they turns golden brown in colour.
- Fermentation of the batter is optional, since the recipe covers with baking soda. can make the unipappam instantly
- Add baking soda before making uniappam.
- Shelf life of the uniappam is upto 2 days.
This Recipe goes tot he Challenge of “Ssshhh…. cooking Secretly”..